Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Our Story: A Saturday To Remember


It was cold and windy. Grayson was so ready to get down from the tree stand. I admit that after about an hour and a half, I was getting there too. It was about 7:30am. I said that I would like to at least try to stay on the stand until 8:00am. I knew from hunting with my Dad as a boy that around 8 to 9 was when the bigger bucks sometimes stir. I told him that I was proud of him for being tough enough to get up that early (4:30am) and come out and sit on a tree stand for that long at 7 years old. At approximately 7:15 to 7:20 Grayson had used the grunt call one more time and we had waited in anticipation for a buck to show up. I had confidence in the buck lure we were using at the time also. We had been hearing a squirrel or two playing in the leaves behind us in the woods all morning. Then suddenly about 15-20 yards away over our right shoulders I heard a crack that was indicative of a much larger animal than a squirrel. Then in about 5 to 10 seconds there he was. An eight point buck!
The rest is history. Grayson was so excited because it was our first buck together! So was I to say the least! We had missed an opportunity at a little smaller buck last year in the same hay meadow. However this day would prove to have a different outcome! It was truly a Saturday my son and I will never forget.

No comments: