Sunday, November 23, 2008

Thanksgiving

In a third world country, someone is hungry right now. In the United States, someone is hungry right now. In Arkansas someone is hungry. And yes, even in Booneville, more than likely, someone is hungry right now. Are you hungry? I am not. For this I am thankful. In fact I am thankful that I am not facing eviction, walking the streets,living under a bridge or holding a sign somewhere at an intersection that says will work for food. I am glad I am not in a halfway house,mental institution or county jail. All of these scenarios are a reality. What does it tell us? First of all we must make a commitment to thankfulness. Next we must put our hands and hearts to work to help those who are in need. Even if they landed their self in the situation they are in by making bad decisions. It is one thing to suffer the consequences of bad decisions, but it is another for people to serve a lifetime sentence of public disdain because we try and convict their character. WHO ARE WE to judge? Jesus never bragged on the judges but he said a lot about the real "neighbor" who stopped to help the man on the side of the Jericho road who was beat almost to death and robbed. He never promised anything to the critics, but he did say "Inasmuch as ye have done [it] unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done [it] unto me." (Matthew 25:45) Done what? "For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me." (Matthew 25:35-36) This Thanksgiving let's be thankful, but let us also commit ourselves to helping those that do not have the things that we are thankful for.

No comments: