Monday, December 29, 2008

Something Old Something New

New Years day is just around the corner. As I was thinking about that fact, I reflected on a message that I preached a couple of weeks ago entitled "Something New". I was sharing some thoughts about that message with a close personal friend of mine tonight via a telephone call. As 2009 approaches, I truly want something new from God. At the same time, I still want to cling to something old. And what I mean by something old is actually something that has been around for ages, will be around for eternity, and yet is new and fresh every day; the knowledge and experience of God's saving grace! Therefore, I want something old and something new.

This phrase is used in the old saying concerning the preparation of a bride for her wedding; something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue. When my wife and I were married over 18 years ago, my wife prepared for the wedding using the guidelines of this timeless phrase.

I truly desire something old and something new in 2009. Maybe I can say The Harvest is Mine in 2009. That would be the something new and the saving grace of God would be the something old (yet always new). In fact, Ruth and I were just discussing the thought of a Harvest this evening. We believe, and I encourage anyone who reads this blog post to believe, that we have not yet received the harvest on many seeds that we have sown! And get this, we believe that we will not only receive a harvest on the seeds that we have sown, but we will also receive a harvest on seeds sown by our earthly Fathers. For example, Ruth's Dad, Bill Catlett, was a giver. He would give his time, his efforts, or anything he could to help people. He lived for the chance to help somebody. If you never got to meet him you missed out! He has received his heavenly reward, but those seeds that he sowed here on earth are still going to yield a harvest. My Dad, Herbert Schlinker, was also a giver. He spent many years preaching the gospel and doing mechanic work, both of which yielded little monetary gain. He too has gone on to his heavenly reward, but I still believe that there is going to be a harvest on those selfless seeds that he sowed here on earth. Well I didn't intend to go this far with this thought but I am more excited now than when I started this post about 2009. I have got my spiritual combine fired up and I am ready for a Harvest. I am looking for something old (timeless) and something new next year!

I encourage you to raise your expectation level in 2009. You are special to God and he has special things in store for you. Check out these scriptures.

While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease. Genesis 8:22

Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, [and] rivers in the desert. Isaiah 43:19

May the blessings of God overtake you,
Ronnie and Ruth

No comments: